I would like to add to Jessica's note that this is the equivalent of a local
PBS station buying DVDs from Amazon and broadcasting them in their community
without paying a license to the copyright holder. Jessica is correct that many
of the films that ULCA has encoded and streamed were purchased at retail prices
and were sold for home use before the emergence of new technologies. Some of
the distributors did not require that institutions purchase PPR as they
understood the copyright law and the exemptions but that does not mean that a
de facto right to stream the films was included with the purchase of the DVD
from Amazon or any other retail outlet, or even if purchased with PPR. Coming
from the world of television broadcast, I can reassure you that Netflix or any
other provider that offers films for streaming acquired the rights to do so and
paid specifically for them and did not say, "Oh, we distribute the DVD
therefore we have the right to stream it... for no additional licensing fee to
the copyright holder."

Best,

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Sheldon