Again Michael my concern is that the spinner highlights at the front
everything you "can do" but makes it a bit of work to find the restrictions.
It all depends on who uses it and generally my cynicism is that people who
are looking for a way out use something in a way they probably can't. I
understand it has the best intentions, but I really wish the instruction was
just to read the damn copyright law. I don't really get your claim that
relying on the written law makes things more confusing. While some issues
like the portion you can use for "fair use" are open to debate, most of it
is reasonably clear. I also understand that rights holders often present an
extreme view in which "face to face" and "fair use" barely exist. In the old
days I would not be so concerned, but with massive illegal activities on
campuses (most being done by professors and students but an increasing
number being sanctioned by the administration and in some cases libraries)
regarding copyrighted works I tend to think the worst. As you know I have
had a couple of interesting situations regarding ALA in particular, the
highlight of which where A. Having the previously open meeting closed
because why would one want a rights holder to hear what was being discussed
B. having a major figure in the field and head of major sanctioned
preservation project tell a librarian at an ALA session NOT to try to
contact a rights holder if they wanted to determine if a work was in fact
rare and needed to be preserved because they would only cause trouble) I
have become very, very cynical. I can't say enough how upset distributors
and filmmakers are that the academic community which they believed where
their friends have in many cases simply ripped them off without a thought.
Worst of all I don't see things getting better but much, much worse as
institutions under budget crunches and teachers under the belief that
anything they want to use should be available for little or no cost continue
to drive independent companies & filmmakers out of business while claiming
they are  just want to make material easily available.

I get this is must be the thousandth time I have said this and on a scale of
1-10 my issues with the spinner are small, but I do see them as part of an
increasing divide between the library community and people trying to get
paid fairly for works they made and spent a lot of money doing it.

Jessica Rosner
Media Consultant
224-545-3897 (cell)
212-627-1785 (land line)