Hi all,

I'm new to this list and new to managing media rights in any way,
though I'm quickly getting up to speed with copyright restrictions on
media usage. I thought I'd tap into your collective wisdom for a
possible solution to perplexing issue.

On my campus, we have a few faculty members who would like to use a
number of films in their distance education classes. Many of these are
motion pictures, and in order to transmit these films legally, we
would need to get streaming rights from the distributors. I've worked
with PBS and a few other documentary producers on quotes for
streaming, but how have you handled requests to stream feature films?
Do you buy rights? From whom? Do you refer faculty to Netflix to see
if films are available there, and/or encourage students to have
Netflix accounts as a necessary course component?

Thanks for any advice you have.

Best,

Kathi Carlisle Fountain
Head of Collection Development
Washington State University Vancouver Library
14204 NE Salmon Creek Ave.
Vancouver, WA 98686-9600
Phone: 360-546-9694
Fax: 360-546-9039