I would distinguish the production of moving images on 16mm from the
distribution/ dissemination of those films. Even our students who
still make 16mm films have them subsequently telecineed for the
practicality of having them seen. It's clear that very few
institutions still purchase 16mm. Even distributors like CFMDC sell
DVDs of many films they distribute. We recently bought Joyce
Wieland's films on DVD from CFMDC (Canadian Filmmakers' Distribution
Center). That's one way of keeping her work alive and available for
study. I only wish Bruce Conner's family would understand that.

Oksana
Concordia University