I once took that personality test online and it said I am most like Lucy in
Peanuts. My husband, who is most like Schroeder, doesn’t let me forget it.
Nickels welcome.

Judge Evans talks about the Kinko’s and Michigan Documents cases, and disagrees
about the “good parts” argument. In only one of the cases she considers does
she say that the excerpt constituted “the heart of the work.” I’m not sure
whether this is because a plaintiff argued it or it was her own analysis.

NB she looks at 74 cases, of which 27 fail the prima facie copyright violation
test because either the plaintiffs were not able to show they had the rights,
or else the excerpt was never accessed by students (e.g. the course was
cancelled). So there are 47 cases where she looks at fair use. In 100% of them
she considered that the library providing free access to the excerpts (factor
1) strongly favored the defendants, and that the nature of the works
(scholarship relevant to the courses) favored the defendants (factor 2). In the
5 cases where she found violations, factor 3 had to favor the plaintiffs (that
is, the amount had to be more than “distinctly small”) AND factor 4 had to
strongly favor the plaintiffs (not only was permission available in a
reasonably convenient way, but the book in question actually made money on such
permissions).

There is no 10% rule. The rule is that an amount under 10% of a book with fewer
than 10 chapters, or one chapter of a book with more than 10 chapters, is
“distinctly small.” So in some cases 5% of a book could be more than a
distinctly small portion (if it was a huge book with many chapters). I suppose
that if you had a book with 12 chapters, and one chapter took up 20% of the
book, that chapter could be used and still be “distinctly small.”

But if the permission is difficult to come by, the amount is irrelevant. In 13
cases, factor 3 favored or even (in one case—30% of the book!) strongly favored
the plaintiffs but the judge found for the defendants based on factor 4..

I shall now go fly a kite into the kite-eating tree.

Judy Shoaf

____________________
Good points -- I see another healthy debate on the horizon. Hold football for
Lucy, hope for the best, rinse, repeat.

If I'm not mistaken it was the Kinko's case here in Ann Arbor, where some of
these specific percentages were discussed. I think the prof. had copied 30-40%
of a book, but the additional argument that had some substance centered not so
much on the large percentage but that the "good parts" were primarily what was
copied. "Good parts" > core > substantive argument, etc. Qualitative, not
quantitative. At any rate, it seems to me that stating something as exact as
10% is an effort in futility -- doesn't that miss a lot of the point, even
though it is one part of the fair use review?  (disclosure: I have not read
even 1% of the decision yet, so I shan't go opinionating beyond this little
wondering!).

Randal Baier