*From:* videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu [mailto:
videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] *On Behalf Of *Helen P. Mack
*Sent:* Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:44 PM
*To:* videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
*Subject:* Re: [Videolib] Difficulties in obtaining streaming rights

I swear, this whole streaming thing is enough to make me want to retire
early!

If we are interested in streaming an entire film, what are we supposed to
do when the source (filmmaker, production co., whatever) has only an online
presence and is so small that their website indicates no phone # or real
email address?  I can message them through their website, but if there is
no response, then what?  Stop and do nothing, even though we have a summer
session course beginning in a couple of days?  I don't think so.

We want to do things the right way, the legal way, but if there is no one
to deal with, then all I can do is print out my queries as evidence that I
have covered my a-- and then we proceed on our own.  And if someone out
there in the world comes forward and is upset, then I say, "Fine, PLEASE
let us give you some money."  What alternative is there?

Maybe these little companies should turn over the business side of their
operation to some larger entity (e.g. Action! Library Media Service,
Midwest Tape, or someone of that ilk) who can operate efficiently.
Comments?