Susan at Wabash College wrote:
Richard, you asked if any of us ever try to work with
publishers/producers/small distributors.  My answer is YES, and I did so in
yesterday's case .  I'm not necessarily opposed to the concept of tiered
pricing for these kinds of films, but I *do* object to having all colleges and
universities lumped together.  I mean, c'mon.  With our FTE of 865, should  we
*really* have to pay the same price as a Berkeley, Ohio State or Rutgers?
Heck, should we even have to pay the same price as Vanderbilt or Butler?  To
me, it should be the number of potential users, not status as "college or
university."  So I do ask.  And many times the producer/distributor understands
and makes a reasonable alternative offer.  So I say it's worth asking.

Judy replied:
Yes, and whenever someone from a small liberal arts college expresses surprise
that University of Florida doesn't have a basic service that their courses use
and depend on, I can explain that it's because they price by the number of
potential users, i.e. enrollment.

Susan again:
Fair enough.  I wasn't actually proposing that these producers and distributors
have an ever-upward pricing scheme, though, where they charge more and more for
higher and higher enrollments.  I was simply suggesting that tiered pricing
schemes almost always seem to have THREE components --  home use, public
library/community college, college/university -- and when the college is very
small, I think it makes sense to ask for something comparable to the
PL/community college rate.  In a couple of cases, I work with vendors who do
just that for us.  In yesterday's situation, the offer came in between the
standard college/university and public library.

Susan at Wabash