From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Deg Farrelly
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:09 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Institutional Pricing for DVDs rant

To add to this ongoing discussionŠ a question directed to those who have been
in the industry for a long timeŠ

What were the going charges for a film in 16mm back in the day before video?

I recall wanting desperately to have in my collection many of the
Time-Life/McGraw Hill/Pyramid and such titles, but just could not afford them
with my @$10-15,000 budget.

I was thrilled when I managed to pick up used preview prints of "Ascent of Man"
for $100 per print. (about 1979, but that is a guess)  With inflation, that
figure roughly equates to $296 today. And that was for a used print.

We didn't have the home video market at the time.

-deg

deg farrelly, Media Librarian
Arizona State University Libraries
Hayden Library C1H1