I don't purchase PPR for films, either.  Even when the public library price is
connected with K-12 at something like $89, that's more than I want to pay.
And, our documentaries circulate.  I didn't pick up My Perestroika, but Midwest
is the vendor we use for our DVDs.  A few years ago, one of the vendors did a
test sale here - if I remember correctly.  A certain number of libraries had to
sign up to order a title, and the price would be reduced to a home use level.
I don't think enough libraries signed up, but I don't remember what the outcome
was.  The thing is, for a lot of the documentaries being considered here,
they're outside the scope of a lot of public libraries.  But we're a larger,
urban city library, and we have a very diverse population, and one of the
things they do is check out nonfiction DVDs of all kinds.  I have had to push
for this part of the collection not to be decimated because of the perception
that the nonfiction doesn't go out.  My supervisor is slowly coming around to
the fact that nonfiction DVDs - whether documentaries, how-to,
self-improvement, or whatever - all go out.  I just have to be picky about what
I can buy - I'm not paying institutional prices for titles that we circulate as
home use.

Becky Tatar
Periodicals/Audiovisuals
Aurora Public Library