It might not be lost on publishers and distributors that their model for
marketing is vastly different than that for journals.  There are jobbers for
many journals and magazines that aggregate demand and supply and are able to
enforce price models.

The two models are similar in another way - there is always someone who has
never tested the waters or talked to knowledgeable people that decide to enter
the market expecting to make great inroads.  Unfortunately both are relatively
mature markets where breaking in without some forethought is a direct route to
the dustbin.

--
Norman Howden, Ph.D.
Assistant Dean, Educational Resources

 "It may plausibly be urged that the shape of a culture - its mores,
evaluations, family organizations,  eating habits, living patterns, pedagogical
methods, institutions, forms of government, and so forth -  arise from the
economic necessities of its technology."
   - Heinlein, 1940

<0b9cf92d08678b44a5a916e179efe4ec02214030b...@mailcms1.ad.uiwtx.edu>, "Moshiri,