Thank you Jessica, Judith and others who responded to my email. I was thinking
did I get everything wrong for the past few years studying copyright issues?
You've cleared for me that I have not yet lost my mind!

Farhad

From: videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu
[mailto:videolib-boun...@lists.berkeley.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica Rosner
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 4:00 PM
To: videolib@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Videolib] Is Streaming transformative?

This person is so breathtakingly wrong it is hard to know where to start.
Judith responded to some of it, but lets for a moment totally ignore the
totally wrong assertions on copyright and go to the unbelievable claim that
"Federal Law trumps contract law" WTF?? Really you mean that contract Paypall
forced me to sign to give up all my rights as a consumer to complain to my CC
or bring a case against them was not valid? Or ALL the times you "sign and
agree" to a whole variety of issues to access web sites or other things? Unless
someone requires to sign something that involves an illegal act  ( murder,
buying weapons of mass destruction whatever) a contract ALWAYS trumps law
Federal or local , that is why they have lawyers and contracts. If a company
requires you to give up the right to use a film in a class as a term of sale
than it is a CONTRACT and as long as it was clear when you purchased it ( you
can't just stick it on a wrapper) and this contract  not copyright law is
binding ( though it would not lead to many sales) Feel free to ask ANY lawyer
you know about that staggeringly idiotic claim.
As pointed out by Judith the UCLA case had zero impact and provides zero
precedent as it was tossed for issues of standing

The  1976 thing is equally nuts though it appears Judith traced the origin.
One important note re Georgia State Case. Publishers hated it and are
understandably appealing. Among more controversial elements was the judge
pretty much stating that fair use did not require any transformative use but
what was largely ignored by the those cheering the decision was the judge also
wrote that 10% was the maximum amount of any work she believed could be covered
under "fair use" and she made it very clear that digitizing and streaming a
whole book was not fair use ( remember GSU originally DID have whole books up
but took them down quickly when sued) so I can't imagine how any one would use
that case to claim digitizing and streaming a whole film was legal. Now "fair
use" has always been intentionally vague on any specific amount yet this judge
said 10% was the bright line and for those who champion the decision you can't
just take the parts you like.  Personally I think it was a bad decision likely
to be overturned on appeal but as someone involved in film distribution the
bright line of 10% is fine with me.
I can't imagine that the person making the presentation was lawyer. Do you know
their background?
Anyway I would certainly not want them to represent me in contract or copyright
case

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Moshiri, Farhad