Hi Lorraine,

my response more or less follows this thought process:

1. If we have the film in our collection, then go to step 2a. If we don't
already have the film in our collection then go to step 2b.

2a. i check to see if it was purchased with appropriate licensing. If we do
have appropriate screening rights then go to step 3a. If we don't have the
correct license for public screenings then go to step 3b.

2b. Try to find a vendor offering the dvd with PPR for the life of the disc. If
i find a vendor with ppr licensing at a reasonable price then i'll buy it for
the library collection and hope it arrives in time for the screening. Once i
know i can get the film with PPR then i let the faculty member know it's on
order and say for future reference, check out the information on the different
licenses here: http://library.tulane.edu/collections/mmc/copyright.

Step 3a. Happily say yes! use our copy for your screening! and for future
reference, check out the information about different licensing rights and what
you can and can't do: http://library.tulane.edu/collections/mmc/copyright.

Step 3b. Check to see if it's available for campus streaming via Swank or
Criterion. If yes, go to step 4a. If no, go to step 4b.

4a. Refer the faculty member to Swank or Criterion as appropriate and suggest
going through University Student Activities Office which has accounts with both
companies and organizes regular campus screenings (perhaps your campus has
similar movie nights?).

4b. Try to find out if its possible to purchase one-time screening rights for
the physical copy already in our collection and connect the faculty member or
group with the appropriate person to make the purchase. I will buy DVDs with
PPR but for the life of the disc only; the organizing faculty or group would
have to purchase one-time screening rights that can be applied to the copy we
already have in our collection (this can take quite a bit of communication tact
between yourself, the faculty, and the vendor).

Hope something in there is helpful.

Best,

-lisa H.

Music & Media Librarian