Karen,

Although Howard Besser and Walter Forsberg's work on the Video at Risk project
mostly had to do with reformatting deteriorating VHS, there may still be useful
information here about how they went about searching for and contacting
copyright holders.

http://www.nyu.edu/tisch/preservation/research/video-risk/
http://www.nyu.edu/tisch/preservation/research/video-risk/VideoAtRisk_SECTION108_Guidelines_2013.pdf

Cheers,