Hello.

I am the person responsible for locating closed-captioned, subtitled, or
transcripts for titles that are requested by faculty through our campus'
Student Disabilities Services office. Faculty are supposed to alert SDS as
soon as they have a student with special needs who is enrolled in their
specific course.

SDS then contacts me to see if we already own a copy of the title in our
collection that has suitable access for the student. If not, then I track
down the publisher/distributor/etc. to ask if they have a captioned or
subtitled version or a transcript available. If not, I ask them if they
have a digital file of the title that we could use to add captioning to it.
Sometimes it takes a lot of detective work to track down the right source
that might hold that transcript.

If not, then we ask our campus' IT Department to convert the video into
digital media, and then that file is sent to our SDS office who works with
some companies to add captioning to the digital file. It is then either
used as a captioned digital file or a captioned DVD is made from that file.
We have restrictions on the use of that converted material so that only the
student with an identified need can have access to it. Currently, our
SDS office
handles this part, but there is ongoing discussion about how the captioned
material will be made available to the identified student and where they
should go to obtain it.

We are still developing all of the steps involved in this process, but that
is how we have handled requests so far. When I contact the
publisher/distributor/producer/director/etc., I make sure to tell them that
we understand that the ADA guidelines permit us to make a digital file for
a student with needs, but I emphasis that it will be restricted to only
those types of uses and will not be placed in our circulating collection.
Everyone I have contacted for availability of digital files and/or
transcripts has been more than willing to work with us so we end up with a
captioned copy.

We had some protracted negotiations with our library and the SDS office on
who was going to pay for the cost of all this, but have basically settled
that for the present. Our library's cost contribution at this time is in
the amount of time it takes me to follow through with all the
correspondence and the logistics of getting the file into digital format to
caption.

Any of these processes may change as we work through this, but for now, the
8-10 requests we have received have been handled so that the student with
needs has access to the same media materials others do for that particular
course.

For our faculty, both myself and the SDS office stress to that it takes
time to make this happen, so the earlier they identify resources for their
class syllabus and identify media materials the better chance we have of
getting a captioned version in time for the student's use.

There is no way we can afford to caption every single video title in our
collection, so it is being done currently on an as-requested basis.

Let me know if you have any further questions or need any clarification.
This can be a daunting task if you have never had to provide the captioned
format, but in most cases, I believe it can be done.

Good luck.

Jeanne Little
--
Rod Library - Room 250
Collection Management & Special Services