Hi Meghann,

We just reviewed “On Her Own” in our latest issue. It definitely seems to be
about “resilience.”

On Her Own
(2015) 80 min. DVD: $59.95 ($250 w/PPR from edu.passionriver.com). Passion
River (avail. from most distributors on Sept. 22).
A remarkable documentary charting four years in the life of a fifth-generation
rancher-farmer named Nancy Prebilich, filmmaker Morgan Schmidt-Feng’s On Her
Own tells a haunting, tragic story about the fate of family farms in America
today. The story begins in 2009, at the beginning of the Great Recession, as
Nancy, her parents, and her sister’s family—all sharing a large farm with
horses, pigs, cows, fowl, and rabbits—begin to feel the pinch of a collapsing
economy. Nancy, single and youthful, is unafraid of hard, physical work and
being mindful of her parents’ age she becomes more involved with learning all
aspects of the ranching operation. As the years pass, Nancy’s foals die,
monthly mortgages go unpaid, the land and buildings fall into disrepair, and
family tensions flare as disagreements arise about how to hold onto a joint
livelihood. Throughout, the film captures all aspects of work on a family
farm—the emotional highs and lows, daily dramas, hopes, and disappointments.
Nancy becomes wiser while also growing somewhat more resigned (she ages
considerably in the face of mounting burdens), yet her capacity for reinvention
and overriding generosity of spirit are deeply inspiring. Highly recommended.
Aud: C, P (T. Keogh)

Best,

Randy

Randy Pitman