Hey,

 > @Toby : I'll also try to take care of runing the auto-tuner/benchmark
> script on my HD5850 or Hawaii (It's the Firepro W9100, but you can
> advertise a R9 290x for single-precision, as it is much cheaper and has
> the same chip for single precision). Which one do you prefer?

I opt for the more recent one. :-)
Keep in mind that Toby does not require the super-fastest one the day
after the talk, but one with good performance in time for his talk. ;-)

> @Karl : Yes, an easy fix :) Considering the portability problems we've
> had with GEMM for ViennaCL 1.5.2, I want to be careful. There will be a
> better default profiles for CPUs/Accelerators, a better default profiles
> for GPUs, and a better default profile for each NVidia / AMD / Intel
> GPUs. (In the meanwhile, there is one default crappy global profile.
> Although the 1 work-group thing is a bug anyway...)

yeah, GEMM needs hardware-specific tuning. But for everything else
(which is pretty much equivalent to memory bandwidth limited) we can
pretty much 'guess' a good configuration and get close to the practical
peak.

Best regards,
Karli