> A naive attempt to clone from https://github.com/emacsorphanage/vm/
> and run failed.  I've been running a version from the bzr repo under
> 29.0.50.

[ Hmm... 29.3 or the obsolete 29.0.50?  ]

> A few questions:
> - Am I starting from the right repo or is there a more recent version?
> - Are others running successfully in the case I'm trying?
> - Does any of the experienced maintainers have a sense of how hard this will
>   be to fix?  I'm willing to try it but would like an estimate of difficulty
>   and time.

Check the latest thread in this mailing-list, under the subject

    vm, emacs 28.2 (debian), urls in minibuffer

where I sent a "cleanup" patch to help get the code closer to modern
ELisp.  John Stoffel gave up on trying to make it work, but I don't
think it's should be very hard.  I don't use VM myself, but I'm quite
experienced in fixing those kinds of things and would be glad to provide
guidance.  Maybe you can team with John?

        Stefan