this vihuela is a folk instrument, not one for the
conservatory.  there is a south american cathedral -
the name and location escapes me at the moment - with
figures holding a charango sized instrument.  it's
called "la charanguista" and it used to be called "la
vihuelista."

there are 4,5 and 6 course charangos of varying size -
to me, size is the distinguishing characteristic
between guitars and vihuelas of this type.

if speculation is dubious, why do you think they're
related more to guitars than vihuelas?  the south
americans called them vihuelas - who was the first to
tell them they got it wrong?

kindest regards to you all - bill

--- EUGENE BRAIG IV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Greetings Bill et al.

Yahoo! Messenger - want a free and easy way to contact your friends online?
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com