----- Original Message -----
From: bill kilpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Saturday, May 14, 2005 12:08 pm
Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: S. de Murcia

> this vihuela is a folk instrument, not one for the
> conservatory.  there is a south american cathedral -
> the name and location escapes me at the moment - with
> figures holding a charango sized instrument.  it's
> called "la charanguista" and it used to be called "la
> vihuelista."

Very interesting.  Where did you come by these names?

> if speculation is dubious, why do you think they're
> related more to guitars than vihuelas?  the south
> americans called them vihuelas - who was the first to
> tell them they got it wrong?

The concept of vihuela was so thoroughly absorbed by guitar, it just isn't at
all likely that vihuela-like things persisted without being influenced by
guitars.  Still, this is only speculation.  Without documentation, I would
never endeavor to publish "Charango is a small guitar."

We all know, the naming of instruments is terribly plastic and not necessarily
related to organology.  If I'd had my way, the Vinaccias would not have named
their instruments "mandolino" at all, but they did (in reference to the old and
recognizable) and it stuck.  I would rather Sobell had not named his largish
mandolas "cittern" and "bouzouki," but he did and the names have become popular
amongst Irish and Scottish players.  An instrument is not necessarily its name.

Best,
Eugene