Alexander Batov wrote:

> The weakest point in any of the two ways of the viola da mano
> reconstruction that you mention is that we have absolutely no idea
> (because of lack of surviving instruments) what sort of barring
> arrangement the original instruments had. And this is a major set back
> whichever external shape is chosen for the reconstruction.

Alexander,

You say we have absolutely no idea what sort of barring arrangement
violas might have had. But surely  we - or makers like you - do have
some idea. Some violas look very similar to vihuelas, and were made at
roughly the same time, and not geographically distant and play the same
sort of sophisticated, polyphonic music. It would at least be reasonable
conjecture and certainly not idle speculation to bar a viola like a
vihuela, wouldn't it?

I have the idea that early guitars (and for you there's no difference
between 16th/17th century guitars and vihuelas?) had a couple of bars on
the soundboard and a couple of bars (or three?) on the back. No doubt
there are a million subtleties of exactly how these bars are fashioned.
So there's  a tradtion of barring flat-backed, plucked instruments and
violas could just be part of that tradition.

Or, do you think there is a possibility that violas had la much more
complicated lute-like barring?

(Or, Monica-style; we just don't know, will never know and it's all
(mere?) speculation... )

But those deeper-bodied violas with deeply incurved sides - the ones
that look like they could be bowed as well as plucked; might they have a
different barring arrangement, more viol-like? ( I have no idea how
viols are barred.) I wonder what you think, as a maker, of the
possibility of an instrument that could equally be bowed or played with
the fingers? It somehow seems unlikely to me.