>> But those deeper-bodied violas with deeply incurved sides - the ones
>> that look like they could be bowed as well as plucked; might they
>> have a different barring arrangement, more viol-like? ( I have no
>> idea how viols are barred.) I wonder what you think, as a maker, of
>> the possibility of an instrument that could equally be bowed or
>> played with the fingers? It somehow seems unlikely to me.
>

> It doesn't seem likely to me either. Well viols were ocassionally
> plucked even in the early 18th century but that's different, if only
> in that sort of way. Perhaps that's why I don't like Jimmy Page's idea
> of bowing his guitar, sounds rather boring (in particularly on his
> early sessions) ...
>
> Alexander

Here's another question. Do you think there  were any significant
constructional differences between
lutes/violas/vihuelas/guitars(?)/gitterns(?) that were meant to be
played with a plectrum and those that were conceived for fingerstyle
play? It has always struck me that instruments that sound well with just
the fleshy fingertips are rather special. They'll sound fine with a
plectrum too, should you choose to use one. But it doesn't work the
other way around. An instrument that is designed for playing with a
plectrum will just not chirp at all with the fingertips: - modern
steel-strung guitars, mandolins, ouds etc etc (There are rare
exceptions, of course, and some players can get a fine sound from them.)