'
  My dog's pennyworth:

  Why doesn't it make sense to strum? Surely it's a particular effect he's
after: I think he does indeed want it strummed.

  The entire section gradually gets 'higher' and it's all part of a long rising
phrase.  I'm using a bourdon on the 4th but even with both 4ths at the upper
octave (I just took off the 4th bourdon to try) there is still the effect of a
gradual rising throughout the section and this is probably what he was aiming
for.  Yet another reason to give him the honour of the greatest of the
'baroque' guitarists: isn't it a great shame there's no other music, other that
is than for guitar, by him to survive.

  I agree there is the problem of whether to play some open courses. However, I
do think he generally assumes a tie over so that, for example, from the double
bar the chord (with the 5th first etc) is not 02 of course but 12. so the
sequence starts from just before the double bar:

  10---/_12---,03---/_13---,310--/_312--,-033-/_-133-,-321-/_-323-,--543-/ etc
lovely stuff...

  - means unplayed course
  _ means previous chord played on first beat

  Martyn

Monica Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I wonder if I can elicit another Pavlovian response from Martyn - or anyone
else.

There is a Toccatta in Foscarini's 5th book on p.105.

Stuart has put it on his website for the benefit of those who don't have it
to hand at

http://www.pluckedturkeys.co.uk/FoscoToccata-1a.jpg

There is a particularly interesting passage on stave 7 starting after Chord
H at the double bar outlined in red - in particular the three bars which
follow the double bar.

It seems to me to make no sense to strum those notes on the 4th/5th
course - and it doesn't make much sense to include any open courses other
than
those he has indicated himself throughout the section although in some
places it is possible. It is just a
bit of 2/3 part counterpoint which should be played in lute style.

What I think is that to save himself some trouble he has put in the
figures only once and the stroke marks
are there to tell you how many times to play the single notes or chords
before moving to the next ones. The stroke marks are not there to tell
that you must play the notes with a finger or thumb up and down.

This is Suart's website again

http://www.pluckedturkeys.co.uk/FoscoToccata-1a.jpg

Answers on a postcard to...