On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Martyn
Hodgson<hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>   Has anyone actually played one of these
>   instruments in with a basses of length only around 90cm (as seems to be
>   depicted) and with plain gut (and no octave doubling as on the liuto
>   attiorbato

Not a guitar.
I have a smallish 440Hz archlute 61/106cm, going to low G' with single
plain gut basses. Good sound, no problem. Yes, my 140-something-cm
theorbo is better, and I'm sure a 200cm theorbo is even better - size
does matter -  but still, 106cm to low G' is good enough for most
practical purposes. It depends a little on what I want to play with
it: Monteverdi with a full orchestra and choir is possible, but
obviously not ideal. The top is more of a problem there, by the way,
the basses are strong enough. Delicate solo playing, quite nicely in
balance with the top of the instrument. Solo singer in a not too big
concert hall or church, no problem. But indeed, not the depth or
sustain of the 140cm theorbo. It has a less relaxed feel to it, when
I'm aiming at a similar level of volume, is perhaps the best way of
describing it.
Point is, 106cm is quite ok for low single basses in plain gut. 90cm
is a bit shorter, but fiddle with tuning and/or pitch, and it might
not be that far removed.

David - baroque guitar with just five coures, but boy, can that be loud!