On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Martyn
Hodgson<hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Are there any extant theorboes/archlutes or early records of such with
> extended basses of string length only 90/100cm?

I don't know, it was my solution to the practical problems of modern
travel. There are no contemporary records telling us what Piccinini
did when he had to board a plane with his archlute.
Joking aside, sure, there's no historical proof, but no existing proof
of existence does not proof it didn't exist. The proof of the pudding
etc. and my lute works. Two friends of mine have something similar:
neck extensions of about 100cm (110cm?) and single basses. One friend
uses all modern strings, goes to low F' by the way, but the other
friend is an all-gut player.

But do carry on about theorboed guitars, all I had to say was that
106cm, single plain gut, G', a'=440Hz works for me and makes flight
attendants less nervous than my theorbo on the seat next to me. But
it's not 90cm, it's not on a guitar, it's not on a historical
instrument, so don't let it distract you.

David