     From: David van Ooijen <davidvanooi...@gmail.com>
     Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Chitarra atiorbata/Guitarre theorbee
     To: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Sunday, 19 July, 2009, 8:52 PM

   On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Martyn
   Hodgson<[1]hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
   >   Has anyone actually played one of these
   >   instruments in with a basses of length only around 90cm (as seems
   to be
   >   depicted) and with plain gut (and no octave doubling as on the
   liuto
   >   attiorbato
   Not a guitar.
   I have a smallish 440Hz archlute 61/106cm, going to low G' with single
   plain gut basses. Good sound, no problem. Yes, my 140-something-cm
   theorbo is better, and I'm sure a 200cm theorbo is even better - size
   does matter -  but still, 106cm to low G' is good enough for most
   practical purposes. It depends a little on what I want to play with
   it: Monteverdi with a full orchestra and choir is possible, but
   obviously not ideal. The top is more of a problem there, by the way,
   the basses are strong enough. Delicate solo playing, quite nicely in
   balance with the top of the instrument. Solo singer in a not too big
   concert hall or church, no problem. But indeed, not the depth or
   sustain of the 140cm theorbo. It has a less relaxed feel to it, when
   I'm aiming at a similar level of volume, is perhaps the best way of
   describing it.
   Point is, 106cm is quite ok for low single basses in plain gut. 90cm
   is a bit shorter, but fiddle with tuning and/or pitch, and it might
   not be that far removed.
   David - baroque guitar with just five coures, but boy, can that be
   loud!