From: "Peter Kooiman" <pe...@crispu.com>
To: "Lex Eisenhardt" <eisenha...@planet.nl>
Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, 1 September, 2010 11:58:25 AM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: stringing and performance

>With regard to what Sanz says about strumming the D minor chord and the
>resulting 4/6 position (the A in the bass): a considerable portion of his
>text is about how to play basso continuo on the guitar, and in accordance
>with his advice to use bourdons for that his tablature examples show only
>plucked textures, so that the bass will always be in its proper position,

I just re-read the "Documentos y advertencia generales", Sanz definitely shows
BOTH strumming and plucked textures
in his examples. The Regla primera removes any doubt saying:

"tienen todos los puntos dos acompañamientos, para que escojas el que
quisieres; El uno es de Rasgueado, con toda la Guitarra, y este se señala con
las letras; El otro de Punteado, que se señala con los numeros.:"

"All have two accompaniments, so that you choose the one you want: One is
rasgueado, with the whole guitar, and this one is indicated with letters; the
other one is punteado, wich is indicaterd with numbers."

So it would seem strumming in basso continuo was definitely a possibility for
Sanz.

Peter