From: "Lex Eisenhardt" <eisenha...@planet.nl>
To: "Peter Kooiman" <pe...@crispu.com>
Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, 1 September, 2010 12:16:59 PM
Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] stringing and performance

Thank you for your kind words, Peter.
Yes, you are right of course. The very first example gives the alfabeto
chords and the bass notes to which they belong. We find similar instructions
in almost every tutor from the time. But after having done that Sanz gives
many examples in staff and tablature for which alfabeto would fall short. He
makes a distinction between the rasgueado method and the far more elaborate
punteado. What I didn't find is any reference to playing (completely)
rasgueado/alfabeto together with a bass instrument. Considering the nature
of alfabeto, a system with only triadic harmonies, this seems not all too
obvious.
Lex