   From: Lex Eisenhardt <eisenha...@planet.nl>
   To: Vihuelalist <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Wed, November 17, 2010 9:42:03 AM
   Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Valdambrini's evidence
     Dear Martyn,
     > You write '.....how can you find the chords to a song if you have
   no
     idea of counterpoint and voice-leading at all...' .  Surely this is
   why
     a such a basically simple chordal instrument is so popular even today
   -
     once you've mastered a few chords and have a reasonable ear you're
     ready to tackle the mainly straightforward repertoire of songs
   alfabeto
     was used for.
     Our ready ear is very much influenced/spoiled by functional harmony,
     I'm afraid. I suppose it went wrong so often (then) because the trick
     of finding the appropriate harmonies was to add 'middle voices' to a
     bass and soprano.
     > Of course, odd clashes would have occurred occasionally which is
   why
     more than just a few alfabeto chords are used in some songs. But I
     wonder how much it mattered to the 'non-expert' player that a passing
     dissonance which was soon resolved was not slavishly harmonised.
     True, but I was thinking of the expert player.
     > And again you write '.... I would prefer to take in account that an
     experienced theorbist-guitarist would perhaps have tried to expand
   the
     system of alfabeto from within....'.    But surely when looking at
   most
     simple alfabeto accompaniments we are not speaking of these expert
     practitioners but the more general strumming public who may not have
     been up to improvising more than the basic three tonal chords....
     If we are trying to figure out what was possibly done in the 1620s
   and
     30s, to reach an optimal performance of the most beautiful songs,
     respecting the
     ambience they were performed in, then we should not only think of
   what
     the general strumming public did. That could of course also
     be interesting information (for a gig in 17th c costume).
     > Finally if you've ever performed Cesare Morelli's (Pepys guitar
     teacher) arrangement of  'To be or not to be....' (an experience of
     novelty rather than artistic merit I can tell you)  from the later
   17th
     century you'd not rush to suggest strumming to songs was little
     employed by then - little written down maybe.  And Morelli,
   supposedly
     a 'professional' of sorts often gets the harmonisations
     No, but I've done Stairway to heaven, does that count?
     Lex