Our ready ear is very much influenced/spoiled by functional harmony,
  I'm afraid. I suppose it went wrong so often (then) because the trick
  of finding the appropriate harmonies was to add 'middle voices' to a
  bass and soprano.

I think you are mistaken here because throughout the 16th century general practice was to add contrapuntal parts to a tenor voice. The shift to working from the bass took place at the beginning of the 17th century. The practice of basso continuo was new and not well established at the time many of these songs were composed. It started off as a way of creating a keyboard accompaniment to mainly polyphonic works.

Underlying this discussion is the idea that it is somehow inferior or amateurish to accompany the songs in this way. This in my view shows a lack of historical insight and sensitivity to changes taking place at the time. A kind of 21st century superior and censorious attitude to what people did in the past.

Triadic harmony was new, original, exciting and in tune with other developments taking place at the time i.e. accompanied monody. The guitar was ideally suited to be part of this change and certainly contributed to developments in harmonic thinking. It is of its time.

It is not helpful to suggest that "the harmonic language of alfabeto is somewhat one-dimensional." This is a bit like saying that Wagner's music is superior to that of Mozart because he used larger forces and more complex and colourful harmony. An evolutionary view of musical history which went out of fashion in England years ago.

  If we are trying to figure out what was possibly done in the 1620s and
  30s, to reach an optimal performance of the most beautiful songs,
  respecting the
  ambience they were performed in, then we should not only think of what
  the general strumming public did.

No.. we should think about what writers at the time said about what they were trying to achieve. I have already quoted Marini and Milanuzzi who presumably prepared their own books for the press and indicate that they thought it was necessary and satisfactory to suggest a different way of accompanying on the guitar. Do you think they were writing for the general strumming public - if indeed such a public existed.

That could of course also
  be interesting information (for a gig in 17th c costume).

Your views seem to coloured by the need to please a 21st century audience. This is understandable but if we are trying to understand what these songs meant to people in the past and what gave them pleasure we should leave our personal prejudices at the door.

Monica

  > Finally if you've ever performed Cesare Morelli's (Pepys guitar
  teacher) arrangement of  'To be or not to be....' (an experience of
  novelty rather than artistic merit I can tell you)  from the later 17th
  century you'd not rush to suggest strumming to songs was little
  employed by then - little written down maybe.  And Morelli, supposedly
  a 'professional' of sorts often gets the harmonisations 'wrong'........

  No, but I've done Stairway to heaven, does that count?

  Lex