Dear Martyn

In the end I decided that I would reply to the list as there are a few things which I
think are worth mentioning.

  at professional guitar players you write  'In any case the books are
  intended primarily for theorbo
  and keyboard players.' -  but what is your evidence for this?

Many of the books include some songs
with alfabeto but by no means all of them have alfabeto. Landi's first book includes 20 songs, but only 6 have alfabeto. There is sometimes a distinction between those which were thought suitable for guitar accompaniment (and therefore perhaps intended to be accompanied in a different way) and those that weren't. (This is the basis of Cory Gavito's dissertation if I remember rightly).

But quite a few songbooks were published
which included no songs with alfabeto. And others were published originally without alfabeto and later with it - like Rontani's. The alfabeto is included because the guitar was
considered to be a suitable option - even if the alfabeto is not much
help.   It is not something that you can generalise about.

What I really meant to say is that the songs themselves were not
composed for amateur singers. Some are quite virtuosic. People like Landi would have sung them
themselves or performed them with colleagues.   Some of the Landi songs have
a compas of an octave + 5th or 6th.
Canta la cicaletta is a good example - very difficult to sing well. But some amateurs may have sung them.

As said
  earlier, it's more likely that publishers saw commercial opportunities
  amongst non-professional guitar players as an opportunity to make
  money.

I think it is very difficult to say who the books were intended for.
Received wisdom is that the printer added the alfabeto to sell more copies. But to whom? Would an amateur guitarist want to buy a book of 20 songs with guitar accompaniment for only 6 of them? Different printers may have had different markets in mind.

  I also wrote: 'Similarly, manuscript collections were frequently
  for  transmission of dances/songs to pupils.

But these also include some songs with alfabeto and some without.

The other reason for sending this to the list is because I am not sure that in the Landi the clefs are transposing clefs. It may have more to do with minimising the use of ledger lines. But there is still a lot about it which puzzles me.

Monica