   From: Stuart Walsh <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
   To: Vihuelalist <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Mon, January 10, 2011 6:19:40 AM
   Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: some Ulm mandore pieces
   Thanks Chris
   I should have said I'm not playing these pieces on a mandore, but on a
   small, single-strung instrument, tuned like a mandore. My instrument
   has a string length of 37cms and so is larger (and, no doubt, easier to
   play) than a typical four-course, four-string mandore. On the other
   hand, maybe there was a difference in size between the four-course
   (four-string) plectrum-played mandore and the five-course, fingerstyle
   (or plectrum+fingers style) instrument.
   I knew about the Ulm tablatures from Donald Gill and James Tyler but it
   was Jean-Marie Poirier who pointed me in the direction of the Cornetto
   catalogue.
   [1]http://www.faksimiles.org/verlag.htm
   I think there are three separate tabaltures in the Ulm collection and
   the Cornetto facsimiles are quite expensive. At Jean-Marie's suggestion
   I got Cornetto catalogue, 0073 which turned out to be two
   nicely-produced facsimiles.  The main 'book' (there's probably a
   technical name for a publication roughly 8 inches by 6 inches) has
   music for a five course instrument and uses a couple of tunings but
   mainly one (in fourths and fifths, without lowering the first course).
   Like the Skene MS, it has to be fingerstyle or plectrum plus fingers.
   The supplementary 'book' has only a few pieces, all or mainly from the
   larger collection, but now set for a four-course instrument, presumably
   to be played with a plectrum.
   Stuart