On 12/01/2011 16:35, Nelson, Jocelyn wrote:
Certainly nothing wrong with dances and ballad tunes, as you demonstrate.

Is the tuning similar to the 4-course?

I'm not familiar with mandore literature, and now I'm looking forward to
learning more about it.

JN

Jean-Marie Poirier has a site devoted to the instrument.

http://le.luth.free.fr/mandore/index.html

It's French, of course but there is a pdf of an article by the late James Tyler from Early Music. Donald Gill and James Tyler have both tried to promote the mandore (and the mandolino) and have both written about them.

Supposing a tuning with top d (it might be g - or something else) then a four-course tuning would be g-d-g-d (or g-d-g'-d' or maybe I mean d'', but you get the point!). And a five course instrument would be d-g-d-g-d. But on both four and five-course instruments the top course could be lowered to c, b flat etc. Also the Skene MS has a section of pieces in lute tuning.

Stuart