Well, I was very careful to say 'which is often the case with
   Foscarini, Bartolotti, Visee etc.'

   We seem to agree on Visee (most of his guitar works are probably not
   conceived on other instruments though) and a quick look on the many
   pizzicato works of Foscarini and Bartolotti will reveal that there is
   true polyphony in those. Same of course with Guerau, for example.

   Indeed there are other genres/compositional strategies, as you
   describe, in other works of these same composers. But these cannot serv
   as pars pro toto. Probably these different genres were played on the
   same instrument, by the same player.

   rgds, Lex

   Lex,
      I think where I part company with you here is in thinking too
      academically about part writing for this most peculiar and idiomatic
   of
      instruments and expecting strict rules of counterpoint to be adhered
      (eg as summarised around this time by Fux).
      You write:  'The one side is what we think we hear. The other is
   that
      if music has two or more voices, which is the often the case with
      Foscarini, Bartolotti, Visee etc., there is a top melody and a
   bass.'
      It has been previously remarked (not only by me!) that much 17th
      century 5 course guitar music is more a melodic line sprinkled with
      occassional chords - in fact rather closer to the sort of violin
      writing of Biber, Schmelzer, Matteis et al  than to contemporary
   part
      writing on the lute.
      One does indeed find contrapuntal passages, or responses, scattered
      throughout such works but generally not a consistent two part treble
      and bass throughout.
      Martyn
      PS As a bit of an exception, I would agree though that much of De
      Visee's guitar output is in two distinct parts - but isn't this
   simply
      because the pieces were often conceived for theorbo (or keyboard?)
   as
      the staff notation versions?
      --- On Fri, 4/2/11, Lex Eisenhardt <eisenha...@planet.nl> wrote