On 07/02/2011 08:50, Martyn Hodgson wrote:
     Isn't Corrette's guitar disposed like other second half 18th century
    French guitars? ie basses on the thumb side like a lute. And the style
    is now much simpler and with arppegios and the like
    . M

There's a late 18th century diagram of a guitar fingerboard with the the basses clearly not on the thumb side - and it's somewhere on the early guitar ning site.

Stuart

    --- On Sun, 6/2/11, Monica Hall<mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>  wrote:

      From: Monica Hall<mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
      Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Ambiguity
      To: "Martyn Hodgson"<hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
      Cc: "Vihuelalist"<vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
      Date: Sunday, 6 February, 2011, 16:41

    >    Incidentally, earlier in this discussion I asked if there was any
    early
    >    source which mentioned selective plucking of individual strings of
    an
    >    octave pair - no response so far.
    No - the only source which mentions it is Corrette in -can't remember
    the
    exact date - 1760 or there abouts.   I think the fact that Sanz doesn't
    mention this as an option is of some significance.   His solution is to
    change the stringing.
    Incidentally when practicing Bartolotti's Ciaccona  from Book 1 this
    morning
    I noted that there are three trills on the 4th course and one on the
    5th but
    obviously because of the left-hand fingering there are fewer
    opportunities
    to fit in ornamentation.
    Monica
> [...]
    >    The high octave of the 5th course acts as a bass and a treble at
    the
    >    same time.
    >    Seventeenth-century guitarists wanted to exploit this possibility,
    but
    >    unfortunately there were times when they wanted notes to be heard
    only
    >    at one octave. Either they wanted just the low octave for a bass
    note,
    >    and had to put up with the high octave interfering with the treble
    line
    >    (as described recently by Monica), or they wanted just the high
    octave,
    >    and had to tolerate unwanted bourdons creeping in below.
    >    The various ways of stringing the baroque guitar are attempts to
    >    overcome this basic dilemma. It seems that composers writing
    serious
    >    pieces for the guitar wanted to exploit the melodic possibilities
    of
    >    the
    >    upper octave notes, but felt hampered by the bourdons. Reverse
    >    stringing, having no bourdon at the fifth, or at the fourth and
    fifth
    >    courses, are all attempts to purify the sound. As Monica says,
    quoting
    >    Sanz, removing the bourdons will sweeten the sound. We cannot tell
    from
    >    Sanz whether or not it was a new idea, but it certainly implies
    that at
    >    least some guitarists were using bourdons in the 1670s.
    >    Unfortunately we have little evidence to know what each guitarist
    did.
    >    am grateful to Monica for writing:
    >    "The only reference to reverse stringing is in Ruiz de Ribayaz in
    1677
    >    .. the earliest mention of the "French" tuning is in 1670 ..."
    >    Is that really all we have to go on? Is there nothing written about
    >    stringing before 1670? If that is the case, no wonder there is so
    much
    >    controversy. Without evidence, we are forced to rely on our
    intuition,
    >    and to try to glean what we can from the music itself (hence my
    >    question
    >    about trills notated at the 4th and 5th courses, and my mention of
    high
    >    notes on the 4th and 5th courses in Sanz' Pavanas).
    >    Sometimes the answer is obvious. For example, in his recording of
    music
    >    by Franc,ois Campion (Arion ARN68483) Michel Amoricis unfortunately
    has
    >    bourdon at the fifth course, which wreaks havoc with the
    campanellas.
    >    Other times it is less clear what we should do. By coming to
    different
    >    conclusions, we may be duplicating what actually happened in the
    17th
    >    century, when guitarists will have had their own preferences,

    [5]http://uk.mc263.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.
    uk