I was speaking only of French practice,  but you may be right  -  I'll
   look at Ning

   The French books which I have facsimiles are:

   Merchi 1761 - stringing in staff notation seems to show doubled basses
   - both low octaves. BUT in discussing pitching to accompany the voice
   he says (I think? - better translation required plse) put the small La
   at the most favourable pitch - implying an octave on at least the 5th -
   but nothing about the high octave being in or out.

   Bailleux 1773 - I think the implication here is that the bass of the
   4th and 5th octave pair is outside but on reading it again I see he's
   not actually quite so specific.

    Baillon 1781 - stringing explained in the 'Avertissement'. - octaves
   on 4th and 5th but now I look at this again he doesn't (I think) say
   whether the high octaves are out or in. My schoolboy French is not up
   to being certain of getting what he does say 100% correct - has anyone
   a trans with which they are confident?)

   Lemoine 1795 - seems to be for single strung 5 course

   Sparks says Corrette 1763 shows the high octave on the 4th and 5th on
   the outside - but I don't have a copy (is this the diagram perhaps?).

   Also other schools certainly seemed to have continued with the thumb
   striking the high octave first up to the end of the century (not the
   reverse as Sparks says - I think maybe the common confusion of what is
   meant by 'the first')  Ferandiere's 6 course guitar has octave basses
   with the highest outwards. ('The first two bourdons are called sextos,
   with the different(ce) that the first is called sextillo, through being
   thinner than the other, and it must be an octave higher; but both are
   called E.'  trans Brian Jeffery).

   Mandoras (and gallichons if double) had the high octave on the inside
   (like a lute in fact sometimes actually called 'demi-luth')

   Martyn

   .