In the historical survey of the term polyphony, in my paper 1980 Grove (page71) it reads that 'in English usage 'polyphony' tends to be used 'for early music', while 'for later periods (16th to 18th century' the term 'counterpoint' is preferred...

That is what I have been trying to say over and over again although I would include the 16th century in the definition of early music as does the Concise Oxford Dictionary of Music. The Harvard Dictionary of Music refers to medieval and renaisance periods which is a bit looser.

This is the most childish argument we have had to date. You orignally referred to Bartolotti's "polyphony". When I replied to your message using the term counterpoint instead you tried to argue that this was wrong. All I was trying to say is that it is confusing. Some people might think Bartolotti lived in 16th century and wrote church music. I have never denied that at least some of the time he is writing 3-part counterpoint but it is better to refer to it in that way.

This list is in English, but its members are from everywhere. It is not just for people from the UK. It demands some empathy of native English speakers to value that there are other cultures in the world, where terms even can have different meanings.

I am well aware that many people on this list do not have English as their first language, which is why I try to express myself in a clear and simple way and why it is important to use the most appropriate terms. I have no difficulty in understanding or empathising with people from different cultures nor as far as I am aware have they with me. It is you with your attempts to argue that I mean something different from what I am trying to say which drives me to a frenzy. A certain amount of empathy on your part would not come amiss.

Monica

Lex