Dear Martyn,

Sorry if that wasn't clear. I think Marini's alfabeto to his songs is really better than the chords to his op. 22 from 1655. In Il Verno there is a very interesting example of what I would consider as 'chordal variation' with an extra L chord in bar 14. Wouldn't the guitar have been silent in the ritornelli? Or would the ritornelli perhaps been left out when singing to your guitar at home, sitting on your bedside?

best, Lex

  Dear Lex and Monica,

  I'm replying at the top ( the preffered protocol) but also taking the
  (very little) trouble of pasting in the text I wish to expand/query:

  I really don't think the alfabeto in Marini's 1622 collection (Scherzi
  e Canzonette) is so very wrong. True, on a simplistic view of the
  parts, one may say that where the bass and upper parets inplies one
  chord the guitar occasionaly has another. But this is very often in
  situations like P 26 in Il Verno bar 6 where one might assume a Dm7
  chord from the staff notation but the guitar has a G4 chord. In
  practice of course the two are perfectly acceptable with each other and
  are simply an inversion of the very common 65 chords often found
  leading up to cadences in this repertoire. Similarly 3rd bar from the
  end 3rd beat there's an F chord in the alfabeto agaoinst a Dm chord in
  the parts - but again this is perfectly acceptable being an inversion
  of a 65 chord. The whole thing is littered with such examples. I've
  played these in concert quite a few times and they generally go down
  well - not as well as the exellent corbetta songs. The Grenerin vocal
  settings seem a bit palid in comparison with these.

  What you failed failed to note and point out was that the instrumental
  ritornelli are scored for ' Violino, e Chitarone' and have no alfabeto
  attached to them. There's no suggestion that the guitar and theorbo
  played together for the songs but , conversely, no prohibition on such
  a performance.

  rgds

  Martyn