Dear Lex,

   I merely tried to secure the nub of what you (and/or Dean) was saying
   which is why I earlier tried to obtain an unequivocal statement by
   saying to you
       I can't agree - I think the thesis that they fitted tunes to
   alfabeto rather than the other way round is, if I may  say, rather
   putting the cart before the horse.

   Your response seemed, to me, to say that you did indeed think that an
   alfabeto asequence was created to which tunes (and bass) were later
   added. If I now understand you, yopu do not think this was the case and
   agree with me that in these light airs the tune would have generally
   come first to which harmony was later added.

   Rehgarding Il Verno - yes I am sure. A hemiola in just the upper part
   is by no means unkown in the Italian repertoire (vocal and
   instrumental) of the period. Look at Bounamente, Falconierio et al. It
   also works very well in practice. We should not always aim to smooth
   out these passing things as the 19th/20th century arrangers sometimes
   attempted

   rgds

   Martyn