     From: Lex Eisenhardt <eisenha...@planet.nl>
     Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Re: Composition of short songs in early 17th
     century Italy - was Marini - was Grenerin
     To: "Vihuela Dmth" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>, "Martyn Hodgson"
     <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Date: Sunday, 24 April, 2011, 16:36

   Dear Martyn,
   thanks for your patience
   >   Your response seemed, to me, to say that you did indeed think that
   an
   >   alfabeto asequence was created to which tunes (and bass) were later
   >   added. If I now understand you, yopu do not think this was the case
   and
   >   agree with me that in these light airs the tune would have
   generally
   >   come first to which harmony was later added.
   We seem to almost agree. I suppose that composition is more of a
   gradual process, with mutual influence of melody and harmony.
   >   Rehgarding Il Verno - yes I am sure. A hemiola in just the upper
   part
   >   is by no means unkown in the Italian repertoire (vocal and
   >   instrumental) of the period. Look at Bounamente, Falconierio et al.
   It
   >   also works very well in practice. We should not always aim to
   smooth
   >   out these passing things as the 19th/20th century arrangers
   sometimes
   >   attempted
   Indeed not. But with voice + alfabeto the hemiola would coincide, while
   with voice + alfabeto + bass I see more difficulty
   best, Lex