Dear Lex,

   See Boyes list for sources naming, guitar, lute, theorbo on title page.
   But, of course, this is self-selective so excludes sources not naming
   these instruments ie bowed and/or keyboard.

   Certainly bowed basses were used in purely instrumental works by Marini
   and his contemporaries - which may account for lack of figuring in the
   1622 ritornelli. As I asked earlier:  does this imply no chordal
   accompaniment in these (just a single line bass)?

   Incidentally, I'm not suggesting bowed bass for the songs if the
   theorbo is present - only if the guitar is used without the theorbo.
   And if the guitar and theorbo were both present then the theorbo need
   only play the bass line - a mode which is documented. Indeed to avoid
   too much plucking I would certainly favour a single line plucked bass
   if the guitar was present - thus there need be no clash of harmonies as
   you fear.  But even if the theorbo player wished to add chords they
   would see the vocal (and alfabeto line) line and adjust accordingly (
   in practice simply carry over preceding 65 over the g in the bass) to
   avoid the chordal clash you fear.

   rgds