To: "David van Ooijen" <davidvanooi...@gmail.com>; "Vihuelalist"
<vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2011 3:11 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Baxa de contrapunto

On Fri, 9 Dec 2011 15:39:08 +0100, David van Ooijen wrote
Thanks to all who responded. I'll have enough to chat my way through
the concert coming Sunday.
Espeically Juan Pablo's story is good,

Yes, in the category of: "Se non è vero, è ben trovato." ...
But, since that saying is supposed to come from rennaisance
Giordano Bruno it's fitting after all ;-)
How would "Baxa de contrapunto" translate:
"Down from the counterpoint" ? Or "Dutch from the counterpoint"?
Is that a kind of disease you catch from being exposed to long to
flemish polyphony?

Cheers, Ralf Mattes

as the theme of my concert
will be 'Spanish Music in Flemish Sources and Flemish Music in
Spanish Sources - Music from Phalése and Narváez' on lute and
vihuela. Will be fun!

David

On 8 December 2011 17:43, Juan Pablo Pira <p...@asies.org.gt> wrote:
> I have no source for this, but I remember someone telling me that
> baxa=baja=Low refers to the Low Countries, so it could be "Dance from
> the
> Netherlands", as opposed to Alta (if it exists at all), that would be a
> German dance... maybe an Allemande.
>
> JP

David van Ooijen
davidvanooi...@gmail.com