Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Baxa de contrapunto

   Baxa/Baja in Spanish can refer to the bass part.

Are you sure of this, Monica? I'd rather think of a baxa danza, rather to the part.
In Spanish you'd say commonly contrabaxo for the bass part...

It's actually baxo - Sanz refers to the bass line in this way. e.g. "Regla quinta del acompanamiento del baxo, quando camina de salta". Amat refers to the bass line as "baxete".

I thought it referred to a basse dance at first but other people seemed to have different ideas on the subject which was why I tried to come up with a literal translation of what Narvaez says. I don't think it has anything to do with the Netherlands.