Dear Monica,

   I'm not sure we are at cross purposes since we all seem to agree that
   nothing is certain about what precise instrument Agazzari had in mind
   and whether he might have come accross the  chitarra spagnuola (and
   implied it in his 'etcetera').

   Of course Foscarini's publications come a couple of decades after
   Agazzari's writings
   but we do know the chitarra spagnuola (or very similar term) seems to
   have been known even before then.  Christofano Malvezzi, in his
   publication Intermedi et concerti (Venice, 1591) describes performers
   and instruments used in the Florentine intermedi of 1589.
   Cavalieri's acclaimed  ''O che nouvo miracolo' (aka later as 'Aria del
   Gran Duca') has 'Vittoria Archilei, Luccia Caccini, e Margherita' and
   even lists the instruments they played:
    'e sounavao Vittoria, e Lucia, una Chitarrina per uno, una alla
   Spagnola, e l'altra alla Napolettana, ............'.

   Does 'Chitarrina'  here really mean a not-guitar shaped instrument? I
   suggest we need
   to be very careful about assuming a degree of standardisation of such
   terms at this time.  And does 'Chitarrina'  also necessarily imply a
   small instrument (either 'alla Spagnola'  or 'alla Napolettana') or is
   it a reference to a guitar generally in this source?
    I've always taken the Intermedi record to mean a Chittara Spagnuola (5
   course) and
   a small 4 course guitar (as described by Cerreto in his 1601 Neapolitan
   publication). Else why bother so much to differentiate between the two
   ('alla Spagnola' / ' alla Napolettana')?

   I recall the subject of guitars in the Florentine Intermedi has
   also been discussed elswhere (and perhaps even on this list) sometime
   ago - but I can't put my hand on the relevant paper at the moment - can
   you?

   Martyn