To: "Vihuela Dmth" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:57 AM
Subject: [VIHUELA] 5 course guitar - partial strums

  Various 5 course guitar tablature sources ask for partial strums in
  which only some of the courses are to be strummed; unstrummed
  courses being indicated by dots (although the practice may, of course,
   be more widespread than suggested only by the tablatures with these
  dots).

  A typical example is a G major chord (stopped on the 2nd and 5th
  courses) but with a dot on the first course indicating a strum of the
  lower 4 courses but without the first course strummed (eg Lobkowicz Ms
  OLIM Prague II Ms Kk77  fol 82v - Minuet).  Is there any evidence that
  these were ever performed by using, say, the middle finger of the right
  hand (or even a spare left hand finger) to damp the unplayed course or
  is it simply a matter of precision in execution of the strum with the
  index finger?

  MH