A.J.Mechelynck wrote:

> My distribution of SuSE 9.3 came with a program named kvim which is a
> version of gvim 6.2.14, modified for kde (and, IIUC, Qt) (but --version
> says "compiled by [EMAIL PROTECTED]" and no modified-by line). (The console
> Vim that came with it was a 6.3.58.). Good luck to you if you want to
> merge kvim into mainstream Vim with a proper set of #ifdef's.

I recall that the merging of kvim patches into the Vim tree went further
than that - the KDE gui is mentioned in the help files. I even seem
to remember that at one point the gui_kde files appeared in CVS, only to
be removed again once they became unmaintained. So if a maintainer were
to step forward, I would expect that Bram (or someone) would have at least
the last 6.3 sources as a starting point.

Since KVim is primarily a GUI port, I don't think much has changed between
Vim 6.3 and Vim 7 that would cause big problems. I didn't have to change
anything in the Win16 GUI code, for example, when I did the Win16 version
of Vim 7.

Another possible approach would be to do a "pure QT" port
rather than a KDE port (much of the old KDE code could be reused) as then
the resulting GUI Vim would be cross-platform (now that QT4 is dual-licensed
for Windows as well as Un*x)

Vince