On Wednesday 19 July 2006 03:01, Vince Negri wrote:
> A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
> > My distribution of SuSE 9.3 came with a program named kvim which is
> > a version of gvim 6.2.14, modified for kde (and, IIUC, Qt) (but
> > --version says "compiled by [EMAIL PROTECTED]" and no modified-by line).
> > (The console Vim that came with it was a 6.3.58.). Good luck to you
> > if you want to merge kvim into mainstream Vim with a proper set of
> > #ifdef's.
>
> I recall that the merging of kvim patches into the Vim tree went
> further than that - the KDE gui is mentioned in the help files. I
> even seem to remember that at one point the gui_kde files appeared in
> CVS, only to be removed again once they became unmaintained. So if a
> maintainer were to step forward, I would expect that Bram (or
> someone) would have at least the last 6.3 sources as a starting
> point.
>
> Since KVim is primarily a GUI port, I don't think much has changed
> between Vim 6.3 and Vim 7 that would cause big problems. I didn't
> have to change anything in the Win16 GUI code, for example, when I
> did the Win16 version of Vim 7.
>
> Another possible approach would be to do a "pure QT" port
> rather than a KDE port (much of the old KDE code could be reused) as
> then the resulting GUI Vim would be cross-platform (now that QT4 is
> dual-licensed for Windows as well as Un*x)
>
> Vince
If it's built against KDE4, you'll get the GUI to be cross platform in
the first place with minimal (or no) need for the GTK+ version.  Pure
Qt programs can integrate well with KDE provided you follow the KDE UI
guidelines
<http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/basics/index.html>.

You won't get the fun tools like KNotify, the toolbars, etc., but that
would be the tradeoff for using just Qt (thus it would be somewhat
annoying considering writing a KDE GUI for Vim should be
straightforward as compared to a Qt GUI).  You could technically use
kdelibs4 as that is KDE's top priority in stabilisation, so a KDE4
version of Vim wouldn't be too difficult to maintain.

Now I haven't really programmed using kdelibs and such, but if I could
learn how, I might be able to help out with a KVim port.
--
Matt Sicker