A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
I prefer answers given on the command-line (with "more" if necessary) to appear in the default colors with the following exceptions:

- It's OK for titles (as in the listing of autocommands) to appear in another colour; - It's OK for the "xxx" of ":highlight" display to appear in the concerned highlight group's colours. - It's OK for the "More?" prompt, the "Hit-Enter" prompt and the scroll menu (which are not part of the text) to appear in a distinct colour.

So I agree with Bram that no special highlighting is needed for the reply to the ":pwd" command (and friends). Even if the netrw directory listing has subdirectories in a different colour (which is commendable), I don't want that colour to carry over into the command-line output of ":pwd".

Best regards,
Tony.
If color would be set using highlighting group, would not it be possible to turn in on and off according to your preferences?