Personally, isn't it an issue of preference? I mean, on a Linux system, if you use an xterm plus a gvim window...why do you need this functionality in your editor? The fact the editor will allow you to issue a shell command is nice...but one can easily argue moving the mouse to the xterm to issue commands is -more- than sufficient. I don't think ViM is supposed to be an integrated development environment more than a really good, rock solid editor. The fact that you can compile from it...is also cool too. But heck with an xterm, ant, ViM (with tabbed windows) - does one really need more than that ;)

Jerin Joy wrote:
Hi,

I'm able to run !mkdir.. etc.
I was thinking something similar to emacs where I can have a different
tab? open where I can compile my files, keep working for 2 weeks and
search back through the text for the first command I typed in.
But I guess its a design decision whether or not to add this
functionality to vim.

thanks,
Jerin

On 5/10/06, Bram Moolenaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Jerin Joy wrote:

> I was just wondering if adding shell support to vim is a feature thats
> being considered. It would be great to be able to run commands from
> vim instead of having to shift to terminal to do so.
> I've seen vim shell but its a separate plugin:
> http://www.wana.at/vimshell/

Not really.  Vim is an editor, not a shell, command line interface or
windowing system.  You can already do ":!cmd", that should be
sufficient.

--
From "know your smileys":
 [:-)   Frankenstein's monster

/// Bram Moolenaar -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\ /// sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\ \\\ download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org /// \\\ help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org ///

--
http://jerinj.blogspot.com/

Scot P. Floess
27 Lake Royale