cga2000 wrote:
[...]
.. as I suspected. Some of the stuff I've read about v7.0 on this list
rather made my mouth water.. but as a comparatively new user of debian
upgrading vim is something I'm not prepared to do just now..
Thanks,

cga

Well, here I am a "comparatively new" user of SuSE Linux, and I found it remarkably easy to compile Vim 7 on it. If you decide you want to try your hand at it, subscribe to the vim-dev list and ask advice there, I'll answer if no one else jumps in before me. Also, some day I should write a HowTo page for Vim on Unix, similar to the one I already have for Vim on Windows, and post it on my "Vim" site http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/