"A.J.Mechelynck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Try running Vim as "vim -D" with your usual vimrc. Then when you see
> the ">" prompt, you may optionally run ":echo" commands to see what
> happens, then hit s (Step into) or n (Next line) until you see what
> goes wrong. (s steps into functions and scripts, n lets them run and
> stops only when they come back. See ":help debug-mode" and ":help
>>cont" for details.)

After doing a time or two I'm not seeing what is turning things purple
but It does appear that ~/.vimrc is read first.... before all the
runtime bunkum.  So doesn't that mean that things in those files could
theoretically overide what is in vimrc?

But also asking what was run last shows ~/.vimrc... but what I see is
it gets run first.

I can't think what to echo to find out where the purple comes from.
And why :so ~/.vimrc removes it and puts my normal setting in play.